Yah! Mr. Basketmaker is Home!

I haven’t posted for a week because Eric was in North Carolina for the NCBA convention which also happens to be my favorite so I was sad to miss it.  We both decided that my time would be best spent staying home alone painting the bedroom so we can get our house on the market asap. And I didn’t want to write sappy posts about how much I missed Eric all week. I’m sure I would lose lots of followers by doing that.

But now he’s home and I am so pumped! Why? While he was gone I spent 25 minutes trying to get the lid off this 5-Gallon bucket of Joint Compound! If he was here, he could’ve done this in 25 seconds! So no more struggling with lids that I need to pry off with a hammer!

house-renovation-joint-compound-wall

I also had to buy the “Ultra Lightweight” product since the regular All Purpose brand that I really wanted I couldn’t lift! It was 65 pounds! There was no way I could get that out of the car, up our front steps and into the house all by myself. So I had to settle for the less-heavy bucket, weighing in at 40 pounds. So this weakling is happy her strong husband is home… te hee.

Why did I need all this joint compound? I’ve been working on a wall treatment in our upstairs bedroom that is really our only option to improve the space. Will have some before and after pics soon!

Got An Ugly Ceiling Light Fixture?

We had the same problem: the dreaded ugly light fixture that came with the old house you bought but you don’t have it in the budget to replace it.

So I needed to come up with a creative solution and a quick fix. As you can see, this light fixture is so tiny. And it’s up high and oddly close to the ceiling. Who would install such a tiny light fixture that high up? And there was no more wire to pull it down lower as well. Maybe that’s why it was installed at such close proximity to the ceiling — they ran out of wire! So the fixture had to stay stagnant.

And, I need to add, that this tiny little tacky fixture is in our dining room! Yes, the dining room. So I needed the “fix” to be something a little more substantial.

While out “thrifting,” I found a large, modern lamp shade for $7.00.  It was large enough to cover the entire fixture and the swooped shape was subtle and would work well juxtaposed so close to the ceiling.

I had some cream colored fabric on hand and it matched perfectly. And I like how it had a “basket weave” design, however, it was a little more difficult to work with. I would choose a more sturdy fabric instead of the delicate one I used here if I had to do it again. (I would’ve also ironed the piece of fabric better so you couldn’t still see the fold! I’m a basketmaker’s wife. Not a domestic goddess. Ironing is not my thing. Neither is cooking and dusting.)

To attach the fabric, I turned the lampshade upside down (the same position it will have when it’s mounted) and pinned the piece of fabric to the inside bottom. Then I stitched it from the outside so I could ensure that my stitches would be nice and even — this is the side that will be illuminated and if it’s all crooked, it will show!

I then rigged up an advanced system to attach it to the existing light fixture — as you can see, my technologically advanced system was simply string and large safety pins.  Initially, I intended the pins to be temporary so I could find the correct spot where the shade balanced properly on the old fixture base. But my “temporary” system is still in place. I’ll eventually get to stitching some more permanent hooks. Probably when one of the pins gives way and the shade falls onto the dining room table, I will find the time.

I removed both of the glass hurricane covers from the old fixture so the bulb was exposed and then inserted 3 “s” hook onto each of the existing chains that was holding the lamp. I slipped the lampshade onto the old fixture and inserted each side of string onto the “s” hooks. And that was it! My only cost was the thrift store shade and about an hour of time.  (I probably should have spent some extra time dusting the old fixture. Or photoshopping the dust out of my images.)

It’s not going to win any design awards but it is a huge improvement from what we initially had! That tiny fixture was so noticeable and an eyesore. Now, with the new “lampshade fixture” nobody notices the light at all. Exactly what I wanted!